On October 14, AMS Vans is participating in disAbility Link’s Doggie Day event! This event will educate folks about service dogs, offer low-cost vaccinations for your service dog, and have fun activities and prizes for kids!
Service dogs are a worth-while investment because they have, in fact, been proven to enhance the lives of their partners by making them feel more independent, which in turn boosts self-esteem and provides more opportunities to experience more things.
Specifically, service dogs provide the following assistance:
- Unload laundry from dryer
- Assist partner in loading laundry into top loading washing machine
- Fetch wheelchair when it’s out of reach
- Assist in clean up of house – pickup, carry, deposit designated items
- Pay for purchases at high counters
- Tug socks off without biting down on foot
- Pull drapery cord to open or close drapes
- Transfer assistance from wheelchair to van seat, bed, toilet or bathtub
- Assist to walk step by step, brace between each step, from wheelchair to nearby seat
- Call 911 on K-9 rescue phone, let emergency personnel into home and lead to partner’s location
- Lie down on a person’s chest to produce a cough when suction machine is unavailable
- Service Dogs can also help with veterans living with PTSD; they provide emotional support and can help people adjust back into the everyday grind
More than that, service dogs provide companionship. They easily can become a part of the family!
Which is part of the reason why we are so excited to be a part of disability Link’s Doggie Day! It’s a little-known fact that wheelchair accessible vans actually benefit both humans and their service animals; wheelchair vans offer a more spacious area for a service dog to sit in, as well as an easier process for them to assist their partner in loading into a vehicle.
Bet you didn’t know that your furry friends were a part of the AMS Vans family, too!
Are you in need of a service dog currently? You can visit: https://www.domesti-pups.org/service-pups.html