A vehicle wheelchair lift is one of those must-have mobility accessories that improves your quality of life in several different ways. It enables you to bring your wheelchair, powerchair, or mobility scooter with you wherever you go. And, it reduces the amount of time and effort you, your family members, or caregivers have to expend loading and unloading your favorite mobility solution.
If you don’t own a vehicle wheelchair lift — or you own an older model and you’re looking to upgrade — technology has had some amazing influences on today’s models. They are lighter, more durable, and more convenient than ever to operate and care for. Vehicle wheelchair lifts have experienced a true renaissance in both design and performance — including a reduction in price that makes them more affordable.
Which type/size vehicle wheelchair lift do I need for my van?
If you purchased a wheelchair accessible van or vehicle, information on the types of vehicle wheelchair lifts — including sizes, weights, and lift power — might have been included in the manufacturer’s information that came with your purchase. Many vehicles have specific lift models that have been designed specifically for that type of vehicle.
If you opted for a side- or rear-entry conversion installed onto a regular van or vehicle, the dealer that performed the conversion will also have information on which vehicle wheelchair lift is right for you. A mobility expert can help you with this question by finding out which wheelchair, powerchair, or mobility scooter you have.
What types of vehicle wheelchair lifts are available for my vehicle?
There are several options for the type and size of vehicle wheelchair lift that you can buy — each with its own set of unique features that fit your lifestyle and your idea of mobility freedom.
1. Inside platform lifts. Operate using a platform that raises and lowers the wheelchair, powerchair, or mobility scooter automatically — designed primarily for side-entry vans, rear cargo sections, and pickup truck beds
2. Outside manual platforms. Operate using a platform that raises and lowers the wheelchair, powerchair, or mobility scooter using a hand crank — designed primarily for side-entry vans, rear cargo sections, and pickup truck beds
3. Outside power platforms. Operate using a platform that raises and lowers the wheelchair, powerchair, or mobility scooter automatically — designed primarily for side-entry vans, rear cargo sections, and pickup truck beds
4. Inside boom lifts. Operates similar to a crane to load the wheelchair, powerchair, or mobility scooter automatically into a side-entry area, rear cargo bay, or pickup truck bed.
Again, a mobility expert can help you to determine the type and size vehicle wheelchair lift you’ll be happiest with based on your mobility type and travel habits.ICYMI! Our FAQ on vehicle #wheelchair lift options for your van #mobilityfreedom Click To Tweet
How do I install my vehicle wheelchair lift?
Installing a manual lift. If you’re installing a manual lift for your wheelchair, powerchair, or mobility scooter, chances are that you can do that on your own. Most models attach using a universal hitch on the back of your vehicle. If your van doesn’t have a hitch, you can typically purchase one from the same source as your vehicle wheelchair lift.
Installing a power lift. Installing a power lift for your wheelchair, powerchair, or mobility scooter often requires that you drill into the vehicle to run the various power lines that connect your lift to the battery source. We recommend that you bring your vehicle into a trained technician to complete this process.
What accessories are available for the vehicle wheelchair lift?
Accessories enhance the operation and your enjoyment of your wheelchair lift. Consider them as investments in the life longevity of your wheelchair lift.
1. Protective mats. Protects your wheelchair, powerchair, or mobility scooter from objects that bounce up from the roadway
2. Ratchet straps. Secures your wheelchair, powerchair, or mobility scooter to the vehicle
3. Mobility covers. Protects your wheelchair, powerchair, or mobility scooter from the elements
4. Battery packs. Provides recharging power for both your wheelchair lift and your wheelchair, powerchair, or mobility scooter
You can purchase many of these accessories in comprehensive collections that offer a variety of solutions at a better price than if you were to purchase them separately.
Can I use my vehicle wheelchair lift on more than one vehicle?
If you have purchase a vehicle wheelchair lift model that detaches, then you can easily disengage your lift from one vehicle and transfer it to another vehicle. These models typically install with just a few basic inserts in a just a few minutes.
Keep in mind that vehicle wheelchair lifts that detach are frequently reserved for smaller wheelchairs, powerchairs, and mobility scooters. Larger models require dedicated installations that must remain a permanent part of the vehicle.
Before you buy your vehicle wheelchair lift, check out the robust selection at AMS Vans. We offer a variety of durable, affordable vehicle wheelchair lift options — including installation and service — that fit your wheelchair accessible vehicle.
About AMS Vans
America’s Mobility Van Dealer is a national wheelchair accessible van dealer and manufacturer with a mission to deliver the industry’s best adaptable vehicles and mobility equipment that meets the unique needs of our customers at a price they can afford.