Our knowledgeable, compassionate mobility consultants are ready to help you through your accessible vehicle purchase process with professional advice and expertise. Contact us today and experience the true mobility freedom you deserve.View Our Inventory Contact AMS Vans Sales Department
Tips for Buying a Wheelchair Handicap VehicleBuying a wheelchair accessible van shouldn't be overwhelming. Find articles about buying a handicap van below to learn how to save money buying a used wheelchair van for sale and other options available such as new handicap vans. We will help you make an informed decision about the type of wheelchair accessible vehicle that's the best fit for your lifestyle.
- Advantages of Buying a Wheelchair Van from AMS Vans LLC.
Like any major purchase, buying a wheelchair accessible van is a huge decision, made even more meaningful by what's at stake--your mobility independence.
- AMS Vans FAQ for Wheelchair Accessible Vans
We have compiled a resource for your most frequently asked questions regarding handicap vans for sale, rent, and mobility conversions.
- Determining the Best Wheelchair Vehicle for You
Compare the benefits and setbacks of purchasing a wheelchair accessible minivan, car, full size van, conversion van, truck, SUV, or motorcycle.
- Rear Entry vs Side Entry Wheelchair Van Conversions
Refer to our Side Entry versus Rear Entry comparison chart to help determine which conversion van is best for you.
- Is A Kneeling System Necessary?
While the kneeling system serves a definite group of people with disabilities, many qualify for an AMS Vans wheelchair accessible van and will discover the AMS Vans conversion easily fits their needs.
- Commercial Wheelchair Vans at Low Prices
New and used handicap van conversions are available nationwide for businesses including accessible taxis, nursing homes, on-emergency medical transport and other mobility companies.
- Cheap Handicap Vans For Sale - and Why
AMS Vans combines used minivans, highly acclaimed, innovative conversion designs, an Internet-based "buy from home" program, and the best customer care in the industry to provide dependable, cheap handicap vans to customers who want affordable wheelchair transportation.
- Personalizing Your Adapted Van
AMS Vans offers the safest, lowest price adapted vans for the best value in the industry. Whether you are buying a new or used handicap van or having your current Dodge, Chrysler, Honda, or Volkswagen minivan adapted for wheelchair accessibility, AMS Vans is your top choice nationwide.
- The Special Needs People Who Need Special Transportation
Special needs vans are essential for wheelchair users to provide safe, reliable transportation. Something as simple as getting in and out of a non-accessible vehicle can put both the wheelchair user and the caretaker at risk for serious injury.
- The Truth About Transport Wheelchairs
Moving a wheelchair user in and out of their regular wheelchair to a transport wheelchair can be dangerous. A wheelchair user does not have full use of his/her legs and cannot properly support his/her weight while going from wheelchair to the transport wheelchair, then from the transport wheelchair to the vehicle and back again.
- How to Buy Used Wheelchair Vans Online
More and more families are choosing AMS Vans LLC. for their wheelchair accessible vehicles. The reason that we're becoming so popular is that we care about what we do, and it shows in every step of our customer service.
- Accessible Vehicles—Which One Suits Your Style?
If you are just beginning your search for a handicap accessible vehicle, this is a good place to start. You may not realize that almost any type of vehicle can be modified for wheelchair users—both drivers and passengers.
- Wheelchair Accessible Vans, New or Used?
Are you or someone you know in the market for a wheelchair accessible van?
- Wheelchair Minivans - Ideal Transportation for Drivers with Disabilities
For a wheelchair user, the simple act of going to the store can be a very time-consuming and potentially dangerous situation. AMS Vans specializes in custom conversion wheelchair minivans at a low cost without compromising safety.
- Disability Vans for Commercial Use
Transporting wheelchair users in a vehicle other than a disability van can be back breaking and put either you or your loved one at risk for serious injury. AMS Vans Handicap Vans has been in business for more than a decade and prioritizes on providing the best value and lowest price guaranteed!
- The Ins and Outs of Wheelchair Ramp Vans
Wheelchair ramp vans are vans specifically customized to meet the needs of wheelchair users and other people that have mobility hardships.
- How to Purchase a Handicap Van--No Matter Where You Live
AMS Vans is the premier source for handicap minivans with nationwide handicap van sales and rentals.
- Wheelchair Vans and Non-Emergency Medical Transport
The need for non-emergency medical transport is rising, as the US population simply ages or those with disabilities increasingly seek mobility to and from doctor appointments and routine hospital visits. Long-channel wheelchair accessible (and gurney accessible!) vans can offer the perfect solution.
- Handicap Van Accessories: Professional Installation or Do-It-Yourself?
You can purchase handicap accessories for vehicles at a number of places, including online wheelchair van dealerships and local dealerships, and you may be handy enough to install the accessory yourself--but you shouldn't and, if you're dealing with a reputable mobility equipment sales company, you can't.
- Wheelchair Van Shopping: A Guide For Parents
Conversion designs, which have improved over several decades, now make accessible vans safer, more reliable, more convenient, and easier to use than ever before. The most innovative conversion designs have given rise to an expanding market of surprisingly affordable handicap accessible minivans--great news for the parent of a child with disabilities that require a wheelchair. If you're pondering the purchase of an adapted van, the information below should prove helpful.
- A Weighty Question About Wheelchair Vans
If you're shopping for new or used handicap vans for sale, it's important for you to know that your weight combined with the weight of your wheelchair determines which van or vehicle style will suit your needs best. Do you know the combined weight of you and your mobility device?
- What Makes a Wheelchair Van Certified Used?
As you'd expect, used wheelchair accessible vans for sale have been around since just after adapted vans were first manufactured and, typically, each conversion manufacturer develops a certification system for used vans. But they do have industry guidance.
- How Handicap Van Jump Seats Work
Jump seats can be installed in both side entry and rear entry mobility vans, and you can purchase a single or double jump seat, depending upon the cabin configuration and the amount of passenger seating you require.
- Wheelchair Van Seating Options
When shopping for wheelchair vans, you should be aware of the seating flexibility in adapted vans. A variety of accessible equipment is available to accommodate your cabin seating preferences.
- Wheelchair Van Testimonials: How to Use Them and What They Mean
A recent study by global public relations company Weber Shandwick confirms that shoppers seek out and give credence to customer reviews and testimonials moreso than the reviews of professional critics.
- Top Disability Resources for Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles
Use these top U.S. resources for help with disability, mobility, and wheelchair accessible transportation. Click on the logo to access the site.
- 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Wins JD Power Award
The 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan has added another award to their trophy case. J.D. Power and Associates recently announced that the Dodge Grand Caravan has been named the most dependable vehicle in its class.
Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles
- Stock #: 581088
- Mileage: 46,448 Miles
- Ramp/Lift: Side Entry Bi-Fold Pwr
- Features: Bluetooth, Leather, 3YR/36K Conv Wrty, Remote Start, Driver Pwr. Seat Base, Kneeling, Lowered Floor
- Stock #: 737931
- Mileage: 51,002 Miles
- Ramp/Lift: Side Entry Bi-Fold Pwr
- Features: Backup Camera, Bluetooth, Leather, 3YR/36K Conv Wrty, Remote Start, Driver Pwr. Seat Base, Kneeling, Lowered Floor
- Stock #: A26598
- Mileage: 17,772 Miles
- Ramp/Lift: Rear Entry Lift
- Features: Backup Camera, Bluetooth, 3YR/36K Conv Wrty, ADA Compliant
Exterior Appearance Inspection
- Panel alignment/fit
- Headlamp, taillamp/lens condition
- Windshield/glass condition
- Paint chips and scratches
- Body damage/dents/dings
- Trim and moldings
- In place and matching
- Inspect certification label (federal requirement)
- Check VIN label to paperwork
- Check for non-completed recalls
Exterior Lights Function Properly and Illuminate as Designed
- Headlights hi/low (including aim)
- Parking lights/fog lights
- License plate lights
- Side marker lights
- Tail lights / backup lights
- Turn signal and cornering lights
- Brake and high-mount stoplights
- Emergency Flashers
- Vehicle has 2 master key with remote entry (if applicable) and 2 valet key, flat key
- Programmed to immobilizer
Door Lock System
- Door opens/closes smoothly using interior and exterior door handles
- Doors cannot be opened when lock button is in lock position
- 2-turn unlock feature functions properly
- Remote entry system operates properly
- Theft-deterrent system functions properly
- Child safety locks
- Wireless door lock operation
Interior Appearance Inspection
- Seats: front/rear
- Steering wheel/airbags
- Armrests/door handles
- Lower door and sill plates
- Gearshift selection handle
- Radio/AC control markings
- Headliners/sun visors
- Extend/retract smoothly
- Free of twists, cuts or signs of wear
- Buckles lock securely
- Lumbar support operation
- Memory control operates properly*
- Headrest functions properly
- Heaters function properly*
- Seat cushion angle and height adjustment
- Seatback angle adjustment
Power Windows / Locks
- Function Properly
Trunk/Fuel Lid Release
- Functions Properly (interior)
- Contains portfolio, owner's manual, supplement
- Tilt/telescopic functionability
- Horn functions properly
- Steering wheel controls
- Steering wheel locks
- Warning chime (key in -- door open)
- Functions in hi/low/intermittent
- Wiper blades clean properly
- Rain sensing wipers*
Dashboard Lights Illuminate as Designed
- Turn signal: left/right
- High beam indicator
- Emergency flashers
- Instrument panel control knob
- Waring lights: oil pressure, brake, fuel, charge, seatbelt, open door, engine check, rear light failure, ABS, SRS
- Check operation of guages
- Functions properly
Air Conditioner / Heater
- Climate control system functions properly for both heating and cooling
- Dome/map/vanity mirror/courtesy lamps/foot function properly
- Power/volume switch functions properly
- Preset station indicator
- Cassette/CD function (scan, seek, rewind, fast forward) operates properly
- Navigation system operates properly*
- Speakers sound clear
- CD cartridge (if applicable)
- Tilt/slide operates properly
- Function properly
Outside/Inside Rearview Mirrors
- Power controls function properly
- Spare tire size, sidewall condition, tread depth and air pressure
- Spare tire and attaching hardware, cover, jack, jack tools and wheel lock (if applicable) are present, properly installed and secure
- Manual fuel lid release operates
Under The Hood
Engine Hood Release
- Interior release operates properly
The Following Fluid Levels Meet Industry Standard
- Engine oil replaced and proper level
- Automatic transmission fluid level
- Brake fluid level
- Power steering fluid level
- Engine coolant fluid level
- Washer fluid level
- Excessive fuel pump noise
- Cooling system (radiator, overflow tank, hoses, coolant level)
- Water pump (noise/leaks)
- Air filter (replace as necessary)
- Inspect oil for contaminants
- Engine noise (knocks, rattles)
- Transmission noise (whines, clunks)
- Belts (wear or damage)
- Check engine diagnostics
- No damage or leakage and proper group size/amp rating
- Tests to standards
- Function properly
Under the Vehicle
Tires (Minimum tread depth 5/32")
- FL: _______/32"
- RL: _______/32"
- FR: _______/32"
- RR: _______/32"
- Sidewall condition
- Proper size, type and match
- Tire pressure
- Check wheel lug-nut torque
Brake Inspection (Minimum 6mm of pad material required)
- FL: _______mm
- RL: _______mm
- FR: _______mm
- RR: _______mm
- Rotors show no signs of excessive wear, warpage or heat damage
- Calipers, lines, and hoses show no sign of excessive wear or leakage
- Parking brake assemblies, cables, and attaching hardware show no sign of excessive wear or damage
Chassis Inspection (No sign of damage or excessive wear)
- Frame rails and floor pan
- Engine mounts and oil pan for leaks
- Brake lines and couplings
- Transmission case/pan for leaks
- Drive shaft boots and CV joints
- Fuel lines, fuel tank, hoses and protectors
- Steering rack, linkage, bushings, control arms and dust boots
- Differential assembly, drive shaft and related components
- Exhaust system (including leakage)
- Transmission mounts
- Tie rods, ball joints, idler arm
- Catalytic converter
- Struts/shocks for operation/leaks
Under Vehicle Fluid Levels
- Differential lubricant level -- check for contaminants
Road Test (Vehicle Operation)
- Idles normally
- While driving, engine performs normally
- Starter system operates normally
- Shift Lock
- Brake and parking brake function normally
- Brake and clutch pedal height, free play and travel meet specs.
- No warning lights illuminate during road test
- T/M shifts properly (both power/normal mode)
- TRAC/VSC and ECT control functions and indicator lights function properly
- Steering operation is normal
- Off-center psecifications meet standards
- Handling, straight-line operations
- Functions properly
Noise or Vibration
- None present
Squeaks or Rattles
- None present
* -- If Applicable
AMS Vans promises to deliver the best wheelchair accessible van available on the market today..... simply put if you are not fully satisfied with your wheelchair accessible van upon delivery---you can refuse it at no cost to you.
With nearly two decades of experience; manufacturing, selling, and delivering over 12,000 vans nationwide, our dedicated team of certified technicians will not allow your van to leave our Atlanta facility until its right!
Please contact one of our experienced Mobility Specialists today and ask about our three step quality control process.
AMS Vans looks forward to serving your family by providing you with a van that is worthy of our own.
Contact AMS Vans
You have succesfully signed up for the AMS Vans Newsletter. You will receive a confirmation email shortly.