Our knowledgeable, compassionate mobility consultants are ready to help you through your accessible vehicle purchase process with professional advice and expertise. Contact us today and experience the true mobility freedom you deserve.View Our Inventory Contact AMS Vans Sales Department
Alabama’s Wheelchair Accessible Destinations and Resources
The Heart of Dixie is filled with accessible, wholly-Southern adventures and experiences that you’ll never forget
Whether you’re a lone adventurer or part of a family of travelers, Alabama wheelchair accessible destinations and resources are waiting for you to discover. The state’s unique cultural diversity means you’re sure to find something for everyone — an impressive collection of indoor and outdoor attractions that stir the spirit and calm the soul.
According to WalletHub's Best & Worst Cities for People with Disabilities, Alabama boasts the following cities that rank high on the list: Montgomery and Mobile.
Outdoor Wheelchair Accessible Destinations
If the great outdoors is your thing, Alabama is the place to be. The state offers an impressive collection of premium attractions and no-cost spaces that are perfect for everything from day-trips to extended vacations. Here are just a few of Alabama’s more popular outdoor experiences.
The Birmingham Zoo, Birmingham. Voted the best attraction in Alabama, the Birmingham Zoo offers the Red Diamond Sea Lion Splash Show, Wildlife show, and many other daily attractions. There are wheelchair rentals available in the gift shop.
Talladega Superspeedway, Lincoln. If you're into motorsports, this is the place to be to see NASCAR races like the Sprint Cup Series, the Nationwide Series, and the Camping World Truck Series. Enjoy ADA parking for your wheelchair vehicle, a fleet of accessible shuttles, and ADA seating in select sections.
USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park, Mobile. Go aboard the historic USS battleship and get a feel for the military life nearly seven decades ago. The main deck of Battleship USS ALABAMA and Aircraft Pavilion are handicap accessible. The submarine USS DRUM is not wheelchair accessible, but there is a video about the submarine that can be viewed in the Aircraft Pavilion.
Indoor Wheelchair Accessible Destinations
For those who prefer — or require — quiet, indoor things to do, Alabama has you covered, as well. You can experience a versatile mix of educational and entertaining attractions that cover a range of topics — including history, science, and culture.
The US Space and Rocket Center, Huntsville. The US Space and Rocket Center is known as one of the most comprehensive space-flight hardware museums in the country, with the Spacedome Theater, Rocket Park, Education Training Center, NASA's Educator Resource Center, and other exciting facilities. The center is wheelchair accessible and has wheelchair rentals.
The Birmingham Botanical Gardens, Birmingham. Check out Alabama's largest living museum with 67.5 acres, more than 12,000 plants, more than 25 different gardens, 30 outdoor sculptures, and the largest public horticulture library in the United States. There is no admission fee to enter the Birmingham Botanical Gardens, and all facilities are ADA compliant.
Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame, Birmingham. The museum honors some of the greatest Alabama jazz artists of all time as it covers the accomplishments of more than 170 native Alabama jazz musicians — including Nat King Cole, Duke Ellington, Lionel Hampton, Erskine Hawkings, and many other famous performers. The tours of the museum are wheelchair accessible.
Alabama’s Wheelchair Accessible Resources
While it’s true that Alabama has much to do to improve its wheelchair-accessibility and overall support of persons with disabilities, the state is making a conscious effort to move in that direction. Here are several statewide and local resources that you can use to plan your visit.
Gulf Shores uses “Access Mat” to make beach more accessible. AccessMat® is a portable and removable rollout access route designed primarily for beach environments, but can be used in a multitude of applications for individuals of all abilities — from pedestrians to wheelchairs access to strollers.
ACPC offers community disability, assistive technology and transportation services. The Alabama Care Planning Council has compiled a list of contacts for various statewide programs for residents and visitors alike online at http://www.carealabama.net/list14_alabama_disability_transportation_senior_services.htm.
Bed and Breakfast lists Alabama’s top accessible B&Bs. BreadandBreakfast.com provides an extensive list of the very-best of Alabama’s accessible bed and breakfast establishments. Get location, pricing, reservations from the website at https://www.bedandbreakfast.com/alabama.html.
For more information on the ‘AMS Vans Advantage’ in Alabama, contact one of our knowledgeable, compassionate mobility specialists — either by phone at 800-391-1518 or using our convenient web form — and, we'll be happy to answer all of your questions.
Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles
- Stock #: 581088
- Mileage: 46,448 Miles
- Ramp/Lift: Side Entry Bi-Fold Pwr
- Features: Bluetooth, Leather, 3YR/36K Conv Wrty, Remote Start, Driver Pwr. Seat Base, Kneeling, Lowered Floor
- Stock #: 737931
- Mileage: 51,002 Miles
- Ramp/Lift: Side Entry Bi-Fold Pwr
- Features: Backup Camera, Bluetooth, Leather, 3YR/36K Conv Wrty, Remote Start, Driver Pwr. Seat Base, Kneeling, Lowered Floor
- Stock #: A26598
- Mileage: 17,772 Miles
- Ramp/Lift: Rear Entry Lift
- Features: Backup Camera, Bluetooth, 3YR/36K Conv Wrty, ADA Compliant
Exterior Appearance Inspection
- Panel alignment/fit
- Headlamp, taillamp/lens condition
- Windshield/glass condition
- Paint chips and scratches
- Body damage/dents/dings
- Trim and moldings
- In place and matching
- Inspect certification label (federal requirement)
- Check VIN label to paperwork
- Check for non-completed recalls
Exterior Lights Function Properly and Illuminate as Designed
- Headlights hi/low (including aim)
- Parking lights/fog lights
- License plate lights
- Side marker lights
- Tail lights / backup lights
- Turn signal and cornering lights
- Brake and high-mount stoplights
- Emergency Flashers
- Vehicle has 2 master key with remote entry (if applicable) and 2 valet key, flat key
- Programmed to immobilizer
Door Lock System
- Door opens/closes smoothly using interior and exterior door handles
- Doors cannot be opened when lock button is in lock position
- 2-turn unlock feature functions properly
- Remote entry system operates properly
- Theft-deterrent system functions properly
- Child safety locks
- Wireless door lock operation
Interior Appearance Inspection
- Seats: front/rear
- Steering wheel/airbags
- Armrests/door handles
- Lower door and sill plates
- Gearshift selection handle
- Radio/AC control markings
- Headliners/sun visors
- Extend/retract smoothly
- Free of twists, cuts or signs of wear
- Buckles lock securely
- Lumbar support operation
- Memory control operates properly*
- Headrest functions properly
- Heaters function properly*
- Seat cushion angle and height adjustment
- Seatback angle adjustment
Power Windows / Locks
- Function Properly
Trunk/Fuel Lid Release
- Functions Properly (interior)
- Contains portfolio, owner's manual, supplement
- Tilt/telescopic functionability
- Horn functions properly
- Steering wheel controls
- Steering wheel locks
- Warning chime (key in -- door open)
- Functions in hi/low/intermittent
- Wiper blades clean properly
- Rain sensing wipers*
Dashboard Lights Illuminate as Designed
- Turn signal: left/right
- High beam indicator
- Emergency flashers
- Instrument panel control knob
- Waring lights: oil pressure, brake, fuel, charge, seatbelt, open door, engine check, rear light failure, ABS, SRS
- Check operation of guages
- Functions properly
Air Conditioner / Heater
- Climate control system functions properly for both heating and cooling
- Dome/map/vanity mirror/courtesy lamps/foot function properly
- Power/volume switch functions properly
- Preset station indicator
- Cassette/CD function (scan, seek, rewind, fast forward) operates properly
- Navigation system operates properly*
- Speakers sound clear
- CD cartridge (if applicable)
- Tilt/slide operates properly
- Function properly
Outside/Inside Rearview Mirrors
- Power controls function properly
- Spare tire size, sidewall condition, tread depth and air pressure
- Spare tire and attaching hardware, cover, jack, jack tools and wheel lock (if applicable) are present, properly installed and secure
- Manual fuel lid release operates
Under The Hood
Engine Hood Release
- Interior release operates properly
The Following Fluid Levels Meet Industry Standard
- Engine oil replaced and proper level
- Automatic transmission fluid level
- Brake fluid level
- Power steering fluid level
- Engine coolant fluid level
- Washer fluid level
- Excessive fuel pump noise
- Cooling system (radiator, overflow tank, hoses, coolant level)
- Water pump (noise/leaks)
- Air filter (replace as necessary)
- Inspect oil for contaminants
- Engine noise (knocks, rattles)
- Transmission noise (whines, clunks)
- Belts (wear or damage)
- Check engine diagnostics
- No damage or leakage and proper group size/amp rating
- Tests to standards
- Function properly
Under the Vehicle
Tires (Minimum tread depth 5/32")
- FL: _______/32"
- RL: _______/32"
- FR: _______/32"
- RR: _______/32"
- Sidewall condition
- Proper size, type and match
- Tire pressure
- Check wheel lug-nut torque
Brake Inspection (Minimum 6mm of pad material required)
- FL: _______mm
- RL: _______mm
- FR: _______mm
- RR: _______mm
- Rotors show no signs of excessive wear, warpage or heat damage
- Calipers, lines, and hoses show no sign of excessive wear or leakage
- Parking brake assemblies, cables, and attaching hardware show no sign of excessive wear or damage
Chassis Inspection (No sign of damage or excessive wear)
- Frame rails and floor pan
- Engine mounts and oil pan for leaks
- Brake lines and couplings
- Transmission case/pan for leaks
- Drive shaft boots and CV joints
- Fuel lines, fuel tank, hoses and protectors
- Steering rack, linkage, bushings, control arms and dust boots
- Differential assembly, drive shaft and related components
- Exhaust system (including leakage)
- Transmission mounts
- Tie rods, ball joints, idler arm
- Catalytic converter
- Struts/shocks for operation/leaks
Under Vehicle Fluid Levels
- Differential lubricant level -- check for contaminants
Road Test (Vehicle Operation)
- Idles normally
- While driving, engine performs normally
- Starter system operates normally
- Shift Lock
- Brake and parking brake function normally
- Brake and clutch pedal height, free play and travel meet specs.
- No warning lights illuminate during road test
- T/M shifts properly (both power/normal mode)
- TRAC/VSC and ECT control functions and indicator lights function properly
- Steering operation is normal
- Off-center psecifications meet standards
- Handling, straight-line operations
- Functions properly
Noise or Vibration
- None present
Squeaks or Rattles
- None present
* -- If Applicable
AMS Vans promises to deliver the best wheelchair accessible van available on the market today..... simply put if you are not fully satisfied with your wheelchair accessible van upon delivery---you can refuse it at no cost to you.
With nearly two decades of experience; manufacturing, selling, and delivering over 12,000 vans nationwide, our dedicated team of certified technicians will not allow your van to leave our Atlanta facility until its right!
Please contact one of our experienced Mobility Specialists today and ask about our three step quality control process.
AMS Vans looks forward to serving your family by providing you with a van that is worthy of our own.
Contact AMS Vans
You have succesfully signed up for the AMS Vans Newsletter. You will receive a confirmation email shortly.