Our knowledgeable, compassionate mobility consultants are ready to help you through your accessible vehicle purchase process with professional advice and expertise. Contact us today and experience the true mobility freedom you deserve.View Our Inventory Contact AMS Vans Sales Department
California’s Wheelchair Accessible Destinations and Resources
The King of the West Coast also happens to reign with a variety of wholly accessible action and adventure for you to enjoy.
When it comes to variety and accessibility, California ranks high on the list of destinations for vacations, lifestyles, and a whole lot more. Whether you’re looking to see the storied sights, settle down in a quiet community, or just pass through an exciting world, accessible California is a tough state to beat.
Outdoor Wheelchair Accessible Destinations
There’s nothing quite like the outdoor adventures to be found in accessible California. From the beautiful coastline to never-sleep cities, you’ll find accommodating sights and sounds with something for everyone. Here are just a few of the outdoor wheelchair accessible destinations that California has to offer.
Disney California Adventure Park, Anaheim. No visit to Southern California would be complete without making your dreams come true at Disneyland. The park is wheelchair accessible. However, there are some attractions that require guests to transfer from their wheelchair to ride by themselves or be assisted by members of their party. There are a few rides that are not wheelchair accessible, but the majority of rides are.
San Diego Zoo, San Diego. The Zoo is handicap accessible with a small fee to rent a wheelchair. Be sure to notify the bus attendant to reserve seats in the wheelchair area for the other members of your party. If you are in a folding wheelchair, the Skyfari attraction will have the wheelchair transported ahead to be available for your arrival on the opposite end. If you are in an electric or non-folding wheelchair, you must do the Skyfari as a round trip. The two amphitheaters are also wheelchair accessible.
The Golden Gate Park, San Francisco. This park is one of the world's largest national parks. It follows the coastline of the San Francisco bay area for nearly 60 miles. There's plenty of things to do, not to mention simply soaking in the stunning beauty of the California shore line. Most of the park is accessible. If you are traveling with a companion who can assist you, more of the garden can be seen.
Indoor Wheelchair Accessible Destinations
For those who prefer indoor wheelchair accessible destinations, California certainly doesn’t disappoint. We’re talking about a collection of attractions and destinations that are as memorable as they are accessible. Here are just a few of the activities waiting for you when you find yourself ‘going back to Cali’.
Aquarium of the Pacific, Long Beach. The aquarium is home to more than 11,000 ocean animals and has nearly 500 different species. The exhibits cover species from the Pacific, such as waters of Southern California and Baja, the Northern Pacific, and the Tropical Pacific. You can also visit the exhibits located outdoors, such as the Shark Lagoon, the Lorikeet Forest aviary, and ‘Watersheds: Pathway to the Pacific.’
LEGOLAND, San Diego. LEGOLAND can be enjoyed by children of all ages. Upon entering the park, meet Bronte, the 34-foot tall dinosaur made completely from LEGO blocks. There are 60 rides, shows and attractions. Most of the rides are wheelchair accessible except for some water rides. Wheelchairs are available upon request for a small fee — first come, first served. You will need someone with you to help transfer you from your wheelchair to ride some of the rides.
Griffith Observatory, Los Angeles. The 2,700 square-foot Leonard Nimoy Event Horizon is used for educational activities, live transmissions of space events, and training for teachers. However, the theater is also used for a variety of other activities such as the film ‘The Once and Future Griffith Observatory’, which is narrated by Leonard Nimoy and explores the history of the observatory. All parts of the Griffith observatory are wheelchair accessible, including the theaters.
California Wheelchair Accessible Resources
California boasts a collection of wheelchair accessible resources both online and on-site that will help you to plan a truly personalized and custom experience no matter where you opt to venture. Save time by registering online for assistance — or, if you prefer, call the attraction directly for assistance ahead of your visit.
A Wheelchair Rider’s Guide to the California Coast. Published by Access Northern California and located at http://wheelingcalscoast.org/, this guide can help you choose the destinations that suit your needs from among the coast's many wheelchair-accessible parks, trails, beaches, viewpoints, and other sites of interest.
Jean’s Accessible Adventures. Visit http://www.cyber-sierra.com/access/resources.html for a catch-all page with a variety of useful information — including some inspiration from other people who are mobility challenged but are getting out of the house and into the woods, desert, coastlines, and more.
Accessible Parks for Visitors with Disabilities. Published by the California Department of Parks and Recreation and located at https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=21944, this website is designed to assist you plan your visit to a California State park. Each park has a web page that includes a Park Info section. Within the Park Info section is a link to a page with information about the accessible features found within that park.
For more information on the ‘AMS Vans Advantage’ in California, contact one of our knowledgeable, compassionate mobility specialists — either by phone at 800-391-1518 or using our convenient web form — and, we'll be happy to answer all of your questions.
Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles
- Stock #: 581088
- Mileage: 46,448 Miles
- Ramp/Lift: Side Entry Bi-Fold Pwr
- Features: Bluetooth, Leather, 3YR/36K Conv Wrty, Remote Start, Driver Pwr. Seat Base, Kneeling, Lowered Floor
- Stock #: 737931
- Mileage: 51,002 Miles
- Ramp/Lift: Side Entry Bi-Fold Pwr
- Features: Backup Camera, Bluetooth, Leather, 3YR/36K Conv Wrty, Remote Start, Driver Pwr. Seat Base, Kneeling, Lowered Floor
- Stock #: A26598
- Mileage: 17,772 Miles
- Ramp/Lift: Rear Entry Lift
- Features: Backup Camera, Bluetooth, 3YR/36K Conv Wrty, ADA Compliant
Exterior Appearance Inspection
- Panel alignment/fit
- Headlamp, taillamp/lens condition
- Windshield/glass condition
- Paint chips and scratches
- Body damage/dents/dings
- Trim and moldings
- In place and matching
- Inspect certification label (federal requirement)
- Check VIN label to paperwork
- Check for non-completed recalls
Exterior Lights Function Properly and Illuminate as Designed
- Headlights hi/low (including aim)
- Parking lights/fog lights
- License plate lights
- Side marker lights
- Tail lights / backup lights
- Turn signal and cornering lights
- Brake and high-mount stoplights
- Emergency Flashers
- Vehicle has 2 master key with remote entry (if applicable) and 2 valet key, flat key
- Programmed to immobilizer
Door Lock System
- Door opens/closes smoothly using interior and exterior door handles
- Doors cannot be opened when lock button is in lock position
- 2-turn unlock feature functions properly
- Remote entry system operates properly
- Theft-deterrent system functions properly
- Child safety locks
- Wireless door lock operation
Interior Appearance Inspection
- Seats: front/rear
- Steering wheel/airbags
- Armrests/door handles
- Lower door and sill plates
- Gearshift selection handle
- Radio/AC control markings
- Headliners/sun visors
- Extend/retract smoothly
- Free of twists, cuts or signs of wear
- Buckles lock securely
- Lumbar support operation
- Memory control operates properly*
- Headrest functions properly
- Heaters function properly*
- Seat cushion angle and height adjustment
- Seatback angle adjustment
Power Windows / Locks
- Function Properly
Trunk/Fuel Lid Release
- Functions Properly (interior)
- Contains portfolio, owner's manual, supplement
- Tilt/telescopic functionability
- Horn functions properly
- Steering wheel controls
- Steering wheel locks
- Warning chime (key in -- door open)
- Functions in hi/low/intermittent
- Wiper blades clean properly
- Rain sensing wipers*
Dashboard Lights Illuminate as Designed
- Turn signal: left/right
- High beam indicator
- Emergency flashers
- Instrument panel control knob
- Waring lights: oil pressure, brake, fuel, charge, seatbelt, open door, engine check, rear light failure, ABS, SRS
- Check operation of guages
- Functions properly
Air Conditioner / Heater
- Climate control system functions properly for both heating and cooling
- Dome/map/vanity mirror/courtesy lamps/foot function properly
- Power/volume switch functions properly
- Preset station indicator
- Cassette/CD function (scan, seek, rewind, fast forward) operates properly
- Navigation system operates properly*
- Speakers sound clear
- CD cartridge (if applicable)
- Tilt/slide operates properly
- Function properly
Outside/Inside Rearview Mirrors
- Power controls function properly
- Spare tire size, sidewall condition, tread depth and air pressure
- Spare tire and attaching hardware, cover, jack, jack tools and wheel lock (if applicable) are present, properly installed and secure
- Manual fuel lid release operates
Under The Hood
Engine Hood Release
- Interior release operates properly
The Following Fluid Levels Meet Industry Standard
- Engine oil replaced and proper level
- Automatic transmission fluid level
- Brake fluid level
- Power steering fluid level
- Engine coolant fluid level
- Washer fluid level
- Excessive fuel pump noise
- Cooling system (radiator, overflow tank, hoses, coolant level)
- Water pump (noise/leaks)
- Air filter (replace as necessary)
- Inspect oil for contaminants
- Engine noise (knocks, rattles)
- Transmission noise (whines, clunks)
- Belts (wear or damage)
- Check engine diagnostics
- No damage or leakage and proper group size/amp rating
- Tests to standards
- Function properly
Under the Vehicle
Tires (Minimum tread depth 5/32")
- FL: _______/32"
- RL: _______/32"
- FR: _______/32"
- RR: _______/32"
- Sidewall condition
- Proper size, type and match
- Tire pressure
- Check wheel lug-nut torque
Brake Inspection (Minimum 6mm of pad material required)
- FL: _______mm
- RL: _______mm
- FR: _______mm
- RR: _______mm
- Rotors show no signs of excessive wear, warpage or heat damage
- Calipers, lines, and hoses show no sign of excessive wear or leakage
- Parking brake assemblies, cables, and attaching hardware show no sign of excessive wear or damage
Chassis Inspection (No sign of damage or excessive wear)
- Frame rails and floor pan
- Engine mounts and oil pan for leaks
- Brake lines and couplings
- Transmission case/pan for leaks
- Drive shaft boots and CV joints
- Fuel lines, fuel tank, hoses and protectors
- Steering rack, linkage, bushings, control arms and dust boots
- Differential assembly, drive shaft and related components
- Exhaust system (including leakage)
- Transmission mounts
- Tie rods, ball joints, idler arm
- Catalytic converter
- Struts/shocks for operation/leaks
Under Vehicle Fluid Levels
- Differential lubricant level -- check for contaminants
Road Test (Vehicle Operation)
- Idles normally
- While driving, engine performs normally
- Starter system operates normally
- Shift Lock
- Brake and parking brake function normally
- Brake and clutch pedal height, free play and travel meet specs.
- No warning lights illuminate during road test
- T/M shifts properly (both power/normal mode)
- TRAC/VSC and ECT control functions and indicator lights function properly
- Steering operation is normal
- Off-center psecifications meet standards
- Handling, straight-line operations
- Functions properly
Noise or Vibration
- None present
Squeaks or Rattles
- None present
* -- If Applicable
AMS Vans promises to deliver the best wheelchair accessible van available on the market today..... simply put if you are not fully satisfied with your wheelchair accessible van upon delivery---you can refuse it at no cost to you.
With nearly two decades of experience; manufacturing, selling, and delivering over 12,000 vans nationwide, our dedicated team of certified technicians will not allow your van to leave our Atlanta facility until its right!
Please contact one of our experienced Mobility Specialists today and ask about our three step quality control process.
AMS Vans looks forward to serving your family by providing you with a van that is worthy of our own.
Contact AMS Vans
You have succesfully signed up for the AMS Vans Newsletter. You will receive a confirmation email shortly.