Our knowledgeable, compassionate mobility consultants are ready to help you through your accessible vehicle purchase process with professional advice and expertise. Contact us today and experience the true mobility freedom you deserve.View Our Inventory Contact AMS Vans Sales Department
Connecticut’s Wheelchair Accessible Destinations and Resources
This New England gem holds a host of accessible destinations that give you an opportunity to celebrate true mobility freedom your way.
Connecticut flies under the radar when it comes to vacation destinations — but, make no mistake. This is one New England state that combines accessibility and mobility freedom in unique and varied ways. Choose from vibrant attractions or quaint towns to create a holiday experience that you’re not soon to forget.
Outdoor Wheelchair Accessible Destinations
When it comes to fun and adventure, Connecticut’s wheelchair accessible destinations have so much to offer. You’ll find sporting events, historic tours, rooftop dining, and just about anything you can think of doing. And, depending on the time of year, you’ll visit an entirely new state every time you come.
Beardsley Zoo, Bridgeport. This zoo uses 12,672 newspaper pages a year to make excellent bedding, because it provides lightweight warmth and lets the animals create their ideal den, burrow, or nest simply by scratching, shredding, and crumpling it to achieve the optimum sleep spot. The zoo has wheelchairs for rent, and it's a wild way to spend a sunny day.
Farmington Canal Rail to Trail, New Haven. More than half of this 84-mile trail from New Haven to Northampton, Massachusetts is paved, with motor vehicles prohibited, and it's become a favorite path for folks who appreciate the beauty of nature. Along the way you'll cross over several bridges — some built with stone, some made of steel — and all lead to a relaxing, visually delightful excursion.
Yale University, New Haven. Welcome to the Ivy League — and one of the most prominent universities in the world. The Yale University campus is wheelchair accessible, and you'll be shown this revered center of learning by a student guide. Founded in 1701 as the Collegiate School at New Haven, the name changed in 1718 to honor Elihu Yale, a powerful trading company official who donated a crate of goods to help the new school.
Indoor Wheelchair Accessible Destinations
Connecticut boasts a collection of indoor wheelchair accessible destinations to rival any state on the east coast of this great nation. With an emphasis on our unique history and relaxing culture and customs, check out some of these outstanding activities popular with repeat vacationers.
Discovery Museum and Planetarium, Bridgeport. One exhibit, called First in Flight, commemorates the venture into aviation by Connecticuter Gustave Whitehead and his ‘Number 21’ airplane, which flew in 1901 — two years before the Wright Brothers, who might have made a deal with the Smithsonian Institution for ‘first in flight’ status. In fact, many historians credit Whitehead with the "real" first airplane flight. Intrigued? All this cool stuff is fully accessible for wheelchairs.
The Mark Twain House & Museum, Hartford. One of America's most revered authors, he wrote his now-classic stories in his 25-room home — magnificent gothic architecture with an exquisite glass conservatory, a grand hall and impressive library, and the cozy billiard room where he did his writing. The museum is fully accessible, as is the first floor of the home, though the upper floors are accessed by stairs.
Timexpo, Waterbury. Originally the Waterbury Clock Company, Timex took it over, produced some of the most popular watches in the world, and continues keeping time to this day. The location of Timexpo is marked by a 40-ft. statue of Easter Island Moai, which connects to the Timexpo archaeology exhibit. You'll go through the Time Tunnel that leads to an ancient world, and you'll have several unique hands-on activities to give you a greater appreciation of this mysterious dimension.
Connecticut Wheelchair Accessible Resources
Connecticut’s wheelchair accessible resources can be utilized via the Internet or by phone. It’s always better to call or plan ahead of your visit to various attractions in order to customize your visit to your particular needs. This will ensure your visit is stress-free and fun-filled.
Access for Persons with Disabilities. Located at https://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2716&q=325078&deepNav_GID=1650, the Department of Energy & Environmental Protection is working to ensure that all visitors have access to the many outdoor recreational opportunities available at Connecticut State Parks and Forests.
Accessible Connecticut — Welcoming to All Abilities. Click on http://www.ctvisit.com/articles/accessible-connecticut to find just a few of the places in Connecticut already offering programs and services dedicated to welcoming guests of all ages and abilities.
The ABCs of Accessible Trails: Connecticut, Delaware, & Florida. The ABCs of Accessible Trails series, which will detail the best accessible trails in State and National Parks across the country, can be found at https://www.gogrit.us/news/2016/2/11/the-abcs-of-accessible-trails-connecticut-delaware-florida.
For more information on the ‘AMS Vans Advantage’ in Connecticut, contact one of our knowledgeable, compassionate mobility specialists — either by phone at 800-391-1518 or using our convenient web form — and, we'll be happy to answer all of your questions.
Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles
- Stock #: 581088
- Mileage: 46,448 Miles
- Ramp/Lift: Side Entry Bi-Fold Pwr
- Features: Bluetooth, Leather, 3YR/36K Conv Wrty, Remote Start, Driver Pwr. Seat Base, Kneeling, Lowered Floor
- Stock #: 737931
- Mileage: 51,002 Miles
- Ramp/Lift: Side Entry Bi-Fold Pwr
- Features: Backup Camera, Bluetooth, Leather, 3YR/36K Conv Wrty, Remote Start, Driver Pwr. Seat Base, Kneeling, Lowered Floor
- Stock #: A26598
- Mileage: 17,772 Miles
- Ramp/Lift: Rear Entry Lift
- Features: Backup Camera, Bluetooth, 3YR/36K Conv Wrty, ADA Compliant
Exterior Appearance Inspection
- Panel alignment/fit
- Headlamp, taillamp/lens condition
- Windshield/glass condition
- Paint chips and scratches
- Body damage/dents/dings
- Trim and moldings
- In place and matching
- Inspect certification label (federal requirement)
- Check VIN label to paperwork
- Check for non-completed recalls
Exterior Lights Function Properly and Illuminate as Designed
- Headlights hi/low (including aim)
- Parking lights/fog lights
- License plate lights
- Side marker lights
- Tail lights / backup lights
- Turn signal and cornering lights
- Brake and high-mount stoplights
- Emergency Flashers
- Vehicle has 2 master key with remote entry (if applicable) and 2 valet key, flat key
- Programmed to immobilizer
Door Lock System
- Door opens/closes smoothly using interior and exterior door handles
- Doors cannot be opened when lock button is in lock position
- 2-turn unlock feature functions properly
- Remote entry system operates properly
- Theft-deterrent system functions properly
- Child safety locks
- Wireless door lock operation
Interior Appearance Inspection
- Seats: front/rear
- Steering wheel/airbags
- Armrests/door handles
- Lower door and sill plates
- Gearshift selection handle
- Radio/AC control markings
- Headliners/sun visors
- Extend/retract smoothly
- Free of twists, cuts or signs of wear
- Buckles lock securely
- Lumbar support operation
- Memory control operates properly*
- Headrest functions properly
- Heaters function properly*
- Seat cushion angle and height adjustment
- Seatback angle adjustment
Power Windows / Locks
- Function Properly
Trunk/Fuel Lid Release
- Functions Properly (interior)
- Contains portfolio, owner's manual, supplement
- Tilt/telescopic functionability
- Horn functions properly
- Steering wheel controls
- Steering wheel locks
- Warning chime (key in -- door open)
- Functions in hi/low/intermittent
- Wiper blades clean properly
- Rain sensing wipers*
Dashboard Lights Illuminate as Designed
- Turn signal: left/right
- High beam indicator
- Emergency flashers
- Instrument panel control knob
- Waring lights: oil pressure, brake, fuel, charge, seatbelt, open door, engine check, rear light failure, ABS, SRS
- Check operation of guages
- Functions properly
Air Conditioner / Heater
- Climate control system functions properly for both heating and cooling
- Dome/map/vanity mirror/courtesy lamps/foot function properly
- Power/volume switch functions properly
- Preset station indicator
- Cassette/CD function (scan, seek, rewind, fast forward) operates properly
- Navigation system operates properly*
- Speakers sound clear
- CD cartridge (if applicable)
- Tilt/slide operates properly
- Function properly
Outside/Inside Rearview Mirrors
- Power controls function properly
- Spare tire size, sidewall condition, tread depth and air pressure
- Spare tire and attaching hardware, cover, jack, jack tools and wheel lock (if applicable) are present, properly installed and secure
- Manual fuel lid release operates
Under The Hood
Engine Hood Release
- Interior release operates properly
The Following Fluid Levels Meet Industry Standard
- Engine oil replaced and proper level
- Automatic transmission fluid level
- Brake fluid level
- Power steering fluid level
- Engine coolant fluid level
- Washer fluid level
- Excessive fuel pump noise
- Cooling system (radiator, overflow tank, hoses, coolant level)
- Water pump (noise/leaks)
- Air filter (replace as necessary)
- Inspect oil for contaminants
- Engine noise (knocks, rattles)
- Transmission noise (whines, clunks)
- Belts (wear or damage)
- Check engine diagnostics
- No damage or leakage and proper group size/amp rating
- Tests to standards
- Function properly
Under the Vehicle
Tires (Minimum tread depth 5/32")
- FL: _______/32"
- RL: _______/32"
- FR: _______/32"
- RR: _______/32"
- Sidewall condition
- Proper size, type and match
- Tire pressure
- Check wheel lug-nut torque
Brake Inspection (Minimum 6mm of pad material required)
- FL: _______mm
- RL: _______mm
- FR: _______mm
- RR: _______mm
- Rotors show no signs of excessive wear, warpage or heat damage
- Calipers, lines, and hoses show no sign of excessive wear or leakage
- Parking brake assemblies, cables, and attaching hardware show no sign of excessive wear or damage
Chassis Inspection (No sign of damage or excessive wear)
- Frame rails and floor pan
- Engine mounts and oil pan for leaks
- Brake lines and couplings
- Transmission case/pan for leaks
- Drive shaft boots and CV joints
- Fuel lines, fuel tank, hoses and protectors
- Steering rack, linkage, bushings, control arms and dust boots
- Differential assembly, drive shaft and related components
- Exhaust system (including leakage)
- Transmission mounts
- Tie rods, ball joints, idler arm
- Catalytic converter
- Struts/shocks for operation/leaks
Under Vehicle Fluid Levels
- Differential lubricant level -- check for contaminants
Road Test (Vehicle Operation)
- Idles normally
- While driving, engine performs normally
- Starter system operates normally
- Shift Lock
- Brake and parking brake function normally
- Brake and clutch pedal height, free play and travel meet specs.
- No warning lights illuminate during road test
- T/M shifts properly (both power/normal mode)
- TRAC/VSC and ECT control functions and indicator lights function properly
- Steering operation is normal
- Off-center psecifications meet standards
- Handling, straight-line operations
- Functions properly
Noise or Vibration
- None present
Squeaks or Rattles
- None present
* -- If Applicable
AMS Vans promises to deliver the best wheelchair accessible van available on the market today..... simply put if you are not fully satisfied with your wheelchair accessible van upon delivery---you can refuse it at no cost to you.
With nearly two decades of experience; manufacturing, selling, and delivering over 12,000 vans nationwide, our dedicated team of certified technicians will not allow your van to leave our Atlanta facility until its right!
Please contact one of our experienced Mobility Specialists today and ask about our three step quality control process.
AMS Vans looks forward to serving your family by providing you with a van that is worthy of our own.
Contact AMS Vans
You have succesfully signed up for the AMS Vans Newsletter. You will receive a confirmation email shortly.