Our knowledgeable, compassionate mobility consultants are ready to help you through your accessible vehicle purchase process with professional advice and expertise. Contact us today and experience the true mobility freedom you deserve.View Our Inventory Contact AMS Vans Sales Department
Florida’s Wheelchair Accessible Destinations and Resources
For accessible fun in the sun as well as the shade, Florida’s wheelchair accessible destinations have plenty to offer vacationers.
The state of Florida has a well-deserved reputation as home to one of the strongest vacation markets in the country. Slowly but surely, the state is also adding to its collection of wheelchair accessible destinations — both indoors and outdoors — which is beginning to make for a bevy of memorable experiences that are mobility friendly.
Outdoor Wheelchair Accessible Destinations
From a taste of Hollywood without leaving the east coast to the taste of salt in the air of some of the country’s most beautiful beaches, Florida outdoor wheelchair accessible destinations make a hard case for most enjoyable vacation destination in the South.
Universal Studios, Orlando. Choose from an incredible array of rides, shows, movie sets, and attractions. Come explore the real-life TV and film production facility. There are specific boarding requirements for those using wheelchairs at each attraction. Most cases require the guest to transfer from their wheelchair to the ride, either on their own or with help from someone in their party. See the Rider's Guide for guests with disabilities.
Walt Disney World, Orlando. Be immersed into a real-life fairy tale at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom. Adorable Disney characters, parades, stunning fireworks, and enchanting lands make the Magic Kingdom a magical place. Each park has entertainment, attractions, dining, and shopping that relate to the theme of the park. Walt Disney World is wheelchair accessible. However, there may be some restrictions. Check out the services for guests with disabilities page for further information.
Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island. Wheelchair accessible beaches are located at North Beach Park (off North Fletcher Avenue), Main Beach (Atlantic and South Fletcher) Seaside Park (Sadler Rd. and South Fletcher), and Peter's Point (South Fletcher toward the Ritz-Carlton). A beach accessible wheelchair is available by calling the City of Fernandina Beach Parks and Recreation Department at (904) 277-7350.
Indoor Wheelchair Accessible Destinations
If the idea of a blistering Southern sun just doesn’t put you in the mood to explore, the Florida indoor wheelchair accessible destinations will keep you cool and keep you engaged. You’ll experience a shuttle liftoff, the strangeness of a truly unique American artist, and America’s answer to Italy’s city of water.
Kennedy Space Center, Orsino. Don't be afraid to shoot for the stars at the Kennedy Space Center (KSC). Be amazed by the massive rockets that first granted astronauts access to space, meet veteran astronauts, and experience a shuttle launch. Accessible parking, equipment, and shuttle buses are available. The launch simulation is equipped with an ADA seat with a pivoting grab bar, which allows visitors to transfer from their wheelchair. If you are unable to transfer from your seat there is an observation room available. The IMAX movies are also wheelchair accessible.
Dali Museum, St. Petersburg. The Dali Museum has been described as the best museum in Florida. Not only does the museum house magnificent pieces of art, but the building is a piece of artwork in itself made up of geometric concrete and glass shapes. The unique glass-structured building allows guest to view gorgeous pieces of art and beautiful views all at the same time. The museum was designed to meet ADA standards and is completely wheelchair accessible.
Fort Lauderdale. Fort Lauderdale is known as the "Venice of America" due to its intricate canal system, breathtaking beaches, historic attractions, and sophisticated style. Explore the downtown area which includes wheelchair accessible destinations like the Broward Center for the Performing Arts, the Museum of Discovery and Science, the Museum of Art, restaurants, boutiques, and many other wheelchair accessible attractions. Tour the expansive canal system and see Fort Lauderdale from the water on an accessible boat tour like the Jungle Queen.
Florida Wheelchair Accessible Resources
In a joint effort between the state and local governments across Florida, there is an impressive selection of digital wheelchair accessible resources that can make your next visit to the Sunshine State much more convenient. Check out these vetted Internet resources...
Accessibility. This section of the Florida Department of State, located at https://dos.myflorida.com/cultural/info-and-opportunities/resources-by-topic/accessibility/,ensures that meaningful arts experiences are available to all of its state's citizens, including people with disabilities, patients and caregivers in healthcare settings, and older adults.
Florida Special Needs Traveler Guide. Found at https://www.tripsavvy.com/florida-special-needs-traveler-guide-1513987 and produced by TripSavvy — part of the Dotdash publishing family — is intended to provide resources and links to travel planning information for the disabled and special needs traveler to Florida.
Resources for Special Needs Travel in Florida. Found at https://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/visitor-services/special-needs-travel.html and produced by VISIT FLORIDA® — the Official Florida Tourism Industry Marketing Corporation — this list organizes extensive resources for travelers with special needs.
For more information on the ‘AMS Vans Advantage’ in Florida, contact one of our knowledgeable, compassionate mobility specialists — either by phone at 800-391-1518 or using our convenient web form — and, we'll be happy to answer all of your questions.
Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles
- Stock #: 581088
- Mileage: 46,448 Miles
- Ramp/Lift: Side Entry Bi-Fold Pwr
- Features: Bluetooth, Leather, 3YR/36K Conv Wrty, Remote Start, Driver Pwr. Seat Base, Kneeling, Lowered Floor
- Stock #: 737931
- Mileage: 51,002 Miles
- Ramp/Lift: Side Entry Bi-Fold Pwr
- Features: Backup Camera, Bluetooth, Leather, 3YR/36K Conv Wrty, Remote Start, Driver Pwr. Seat Base, Kneeling, Lowered Floor
- Stock #: A26598
- Mileage: 17,772 Miles
- Ramp/Lift: Rear Entry Lift
- Features: Backup Camera, Bluetooth, 3YR/36K Conv Wrty, ADA Compliant
Exterior Appearance Inspection
- Panel alignment/fit
- Headlamp, taillamp/lens condition
- Windshield/glass condition
- Paint chips and scratches
- Body damage/dents/dings
- Trim and moldings
- In place and matching
- Inspect certification label (federal requirement)
- Check VIN label to paperwork
- Check for non-completed recalls
Exterior Lights Function Properly and Illuminate as Designed
- Headlights hi/low (including aim)
- Parking lights/fog lights
- License plate lights
- Side marker lights
- Tail lights / backup lights
- Turn signal and cornering lights
- Brake and high-mount stoplights
- Emergency Flashers
- Vehicle has 2 master key with remote entry (if applicable) and 2 valet key, flat key
- Programmed to immobilizer
Door Lock System
- Door opens/closes smoothly using interior and exterior door handles
- Doors cannot be opened when lock button is in lock position
- 2-turn unlock feature functions properly
- Remote entry system operates properly
- Theft-deterrent system functions properly
- Child safety locks
- Wireless door lock operation
Interior Appearance Inspection
- Seats: front/rear
- Steering wheel/airbags
- Armrests/door handles
- Lower door and sill plates
- Gearshift selection handle
- Radio/AC control markings
- Headliners/sun visors
- Extend/retract smoothly
- Free of twists, cuts or signs of wear
- Buckles lock securely
- Lumbar support operation
- Memory control operates properly*
- Headrest functions properly
- Heaters function properly*
- Seat cushion angle and height adjustment
- Seatback angle adjustment
Power Windows / Locks
- Function Properly
Trunk/Fuel Lid Release
- Functions Properly (interior)
- Contains portfolio, owner's manual, supplement
- Tilt/telescopic functionability
- Horn functions properly
- Steering wheel controls
- Steering wheel locks
- Warning chime (key in -- door open)
- Functions in hi/low/intermittent
- Wiper blades clean properly
- Rain sensing wipers*
Dashboard Lights Illuminate as Designed
- Turn signal: left/right
- High beam indicator
- Emergency flashers
- Instrument panel control knob
- Waring lights: oil pressure, brake, fuel, charge, seatbelt, open door, engine check, rear light failure, ABS, SRS
- Check operation of guages
- Functions properly
Air Conditioner / Heater
- Climate control system functions properly for both heating and cooling
- Dome/map/vanity mirror/courtesy lamps/foot function properly
- Power/volume switch functions properly
- Preset station indicator
- Cassette/CD function (scan, seek, rewind, fast forward) operates properly
- Navigation system operates properly*
- Speakers sound clear
- CD cartridge (if applicable)
- Tilt/slide operates properly
- Function properly
Outside/Inside Rearview Mirrors
- Power controls function properly
- Spare tire size, sidewall condition, tread depth and air pressure
- Spare tire and attaching hardware, cover, jack, jack tools and wheel lock (if applicable) are present, properly installed and secure
- Manual fuel lid release operates
Under The Hood
Engine Hood Release
- Interior release operates properly
The Following Fluid Levels Meet Industry Standard
- Engine oil replaced and proper level
- Automatic transmission fluid level
- Brake fluid level
- Power steering fluid level
- Engine coolant fluid level
- Washer fluid level
- Excessive fuel pump noise
- Cooling system (radiator, overflow tank, hoses, coolant level)
- Water pump (noise/leaks)
- Air filter (replace as necessary)
- Inspect oil for contaminants
- Engine noise (knocks, rattles)
- Transmission noise (whines, clunks)
- Belts (wear or damage)
- Check engine diagnostics
- No damage or leakage and proper group size/amp rating
- Tests to standards
- Function properly
Under the Vehicle
Tires (Minimum tread depth 5/32")
- FL: _______/32"
- RL: _______/32"
- FR: _______/32"
- RR: _______/32"
- Sidewall condition
- Proper size, type and match
- Tire pressure
- Check wheel lug-nut torque
Brake Inspection (Minimum 6mm of pad material required)
- FL: _______mm
- RL: _______mm
- FR: _______mm
- RR: _______mm
- Rotors show no signs of excessive wear, warpage or heat damage
- Calipers, lines, and hoses show no sign of excessive wear or leakage
- Parking brake assemblies, cables, and attaching hardware show no sign of excessive wear or damage
Chassis Inspection (No sign of damage or excessive wear)
- Frame rails and floor pan
- Engine mounts and oil pan for leaks
- Brake lines and couplings
- Transmission case/pan for leaks
- Drive shaft boots and CV joints
- Fuel lines, fuel tank, hoses and protectors
- Steering rack, linkage, bushings, control arms and dust boots
- Differential assembly, drive shaft and related components
- Exhaust system (including leakage)
- Transmission mounts
- Tie rods, ball joints, idler arm
- Catalytic converter
- Struts/shocks for operation/leaks
Under Vehicle Fluid Levels
- Differential lubricant level -- check for contaminants
Road Test (Vehicle Operation)
- Idles normally
- While driving, engine performs normally
- Starter system operates normally
- Shift Lock
- Brake and parking brake function normally
- Brake and clutch pedal height, free play and travel meet specs.
- No warning lights illuminate during road test
- T/M shifts properly (both power/normal mode)
- TRAC/VSC and ECT control functions and indicator lights function properly
- Steering operation is normal
- Off-center psecifications meet standards
- Handling, straight-line operations
- Functions properly
Noise or Vibration
- None present
Squeaks or Rattles
- None present
* -- If Applicable
AMS Vans promises to deliver the best wheelchair accessible van available on the market today..... simply put if you are not fully satisfied with your wheelchair accessible van upon delivery---you can refuse it at no cost to you.
With nearly two decades of experience; manufacturing, selling, and delivering over 12,000 vans nationwide, our dedicated team of certified technicians will not allow your van to leave our Atlanta facility until its right!
Please contact one of our experienced Mobility Specialists today and ask about our three step quality control process.
AMS Vans looks forward to serving your family by providing you with a van that is worthy of our own.
Contact AMS Vans
You have succesfully signed up for the AMS Vans Newsletter. You will receive a confirmation email shortly.