Our knowledgeable, compassionate mobility consultants are ready to help you through your accessible vehicle purchase process with professional advice and expertise. Contact us today and experience the true mobility freedom you deserve.View Our Inventory Contact AMS Vans Sales Department
Idaho’s Wheelchair Accessible Destinations and Resources
The rich history and tradition of the Gem State makes for an adventurous visit — especially Idaho’s collection of wheelchair accessible sights and events.
For a little slice of Midwestern heaven, look no further than the potato-loving state of Idaho. What most vacationers don’t realize is that Idaho is one of the premier spots for wheelchair accessible outdoors adventure in the country. But, that’s not to overlook the indoor experiences that are just as fascinating. It’s safe to say that Idaho is a little bit of everything to everyone — and, its mobility freedom makes for an even more satisfying trip.
Outdoor Wheelchair Accessible Destinations
Idaho is an outdoor adventurer’s paradise. From wildlife preserves to lava-heated springs to zoos teeming with with animals, Idaho outdoor wheelchair accessible destinations level the playing field and get you where the action is. Your rifle, your rod and reel, and the freedom to enjoy it all is just waiting for you.
Idaho Fish and Game. Are you looking for a place to go fishing in Idaho? Cast your line in waters surrounded by some of the most breathtaking scenery in America. Fly fishing in Idaho is an unforgettable experience. The state is swimming with trout, salmon, bass, and other sport fish. The state has many accessible places to choose from to enjoy a day of fishing. Visit here to view regions that have hard-finished unloading pads, pathways to accessible restrooms, boat ramps, accessible fishing platforms and, depending on the location, accessible picnic tables and shelters.
Lava Hot Springs Vacation Resort, Lava Hot Springs. The healing properties of hot springs, which contain a variety of minerals, are natural therapies to help ease aches and pains, and loosen joints and help mobility. It's hydrotherapy, and at Lava Hot Springs, you get relief in remarkable surroundings. The deck surrounding the pools have a snow-melt system so the springs are always accessible. All the Lava Hot Springs pools and restrooms at both Hot Pools and Swimming Pools are handicap accessible. There's also a handicap chair lift in the Indoor Aquatic Center's 25-yd. pool.
Tautphaus Park Zoo, Idaho Falls. Discover your wild side at the Tautphaus Park Zoo. You'll see more than 400 animals, representing 100 different species. The top attractions within the zoo are the Primate Discovery Center, the African Penguins, and the Asian Adventure. Don't pass up the Children's Zoo, where you can pet, feed, and play with the animals, and enjoy an Animal Encounters Wild Animal Show. Wheelchairs are available on site. The zoo is handicap accessible and has parking for wheelchair accessible vehicles.
Indoor Wheelchair Accessible Destinations
For those visitors and vacationers who need protection from the elements, Idaho indoor wheelchair accessible destinations offer experiences in a galaxy and a prison yard — and, you don’t have to become an astronaut or a criminal to experience either. These are accessible indoor excursions through time and space you won’t soon forget.
Museum of Idaho, Idaho Falls. Check out the extraordinary exhibits and activities at the Museum of Idaho! You'll learn history and science while exploring permanent exhibits like the Eagle Rock, which houses artifacts related to the 1880s. The Race for Atomic Power tells the story of the nuclear energy era in Idaho. Other exhibits cover the human body, the Lewis and Clark expedition, dinosaurs, and insects. The museum is accessible with an elevator and ramps.
The Centennial Observatory, Twin Falls. The Centennial Observatory features one of the world's largest fully handicapped-accessible public telescopes. You can take a wheelchair accessible elevator to the observatory and observing deck under a 20-foot motorized dome. An optical "periscope" allows access to the telescope for guests using a wheelchair. The Observatory offers monthly star parties, astronomy-talk nights, and Telescope Tuesdays that take place one hour after sunset.
Old Idaho Penitentiary, Boise. In 1872 the Old Idaho Penitentiary opened its doors and became home to some of the West's most atrocious criminals. You'll explore solitary confinement, cell blocks, and may even bump into a ghost or two. Most of the site is wheelchair accessible. Some ground and sidewalks may be uneven, so they recommend you have a companion. Additionally, the gallows, death row, and witness area are not accessible; however, there are photos for you to view.
Idaho Wheelchair Accessible Resources
Idaho wheelchair accessible resources on the Web are primarily focused on the sports angle — such as trout fishing and snow skiing. There are a few accessibility resources that give a more rounded picture of what’s available, which we’ve listed here for your next visit.
Resources for Individuals with Disabilities. Located at https://silc.idaho.gov/resources-for-individuals-with-disabilities/ and published by the State Independent Living Council, this is a listing of SILC resources that tourists and travelers with disabilities may find helpful.
Accessible Idaho. Located at https://idfg.idaho.gov/wildlife/accessible-idaho and published by the Idaho Department of Fish and Game, the department encourages everyone to experience Idaho's wild outdoors.
Visit Idaho. Located at https://visitidaho.org/ and published by the Idaho Department of Commerce Tourism Development, this is a comprehensive list of accessibility resources for visiting the state during the winter months.
For more information on the ‘AMS Vans Advantage’ in Idaho, contact one of our knowledgeable, compassionate mobility specialists — either by phone at 800-391-1518 or using our convenient web form — and, we'll be happy to answer all of your questions.
Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles
- Stock #: 581088
- Mileage: 46,448 Miles
- Ramp/Lift: Side Entry Bi-Fold Pwr
- Features: Bluetooth, Leather, 3YR/36K Conv Wrty, Remote Start, Driver Pwr. Seat Base, Kneeling, Lowered Floor
- Stock #: 206998
- Mileage: 118,200 Miles
- Ramp/Lift: Side Entry Bi-Fold Pwr
- Features: Leather, Heated Seats, Driver Pwr. Seat Base, Pass. Pwr. Seat Base, Kneeling, Lowered Floor
- Stock #: 737931
- Mileage: 51,002 Miles
- Ramp/Lift: Side Entry Bi-Fold Pwr
- Features: Backup Camera, Bluetooth, Leather, 3YR/36K Conv Wrty, Remote Start, Driver Pwr. Seat Base, Kneeling, Lowered Floor
Exterior Appearance Inspection
- Panel alignment/fit
- Headlamp, taillamp/lens condition
- Windshield/glass condition
- Paint chips and scratches
- Body damage/dents/dings
- Trim and moldings
- In place and matching
- Inspect certification label (federal requirement)
- Check VIN label to paperwork
- Check for non-completed recalls
Exterior Lights Function Properly and Illuminate as Designed
- Headlights hi/low (including aim)
- Parking lights/fog lights
- License plate lights
- Side marker lights
- Tail lights / backup lights
- Turn signal and cornering lights
- Brake and high-mount stoplights
- Emergency Flashers
- Vehicle has 2 master key with remote entry (if applicable) and 2 valet key, flat key
- Programmed to immobilizer
Door Lock System
- Door opens/closes smoothly using interior and exterior door handles
- Doors cannot be opened when lock button is in lock position
- 2-turn unlock feature functions properly
- Remote entry system operates properly
- Theft-deterrent system functions properly
- Child safety locks
- Wireless door lock operation
Interior Appearance Inspection
- Seats: front/rear
- Steering wheel/airbags
- Armrests/door handles
- Lower door and sill plates
- Gearshift selection handle
- Radio/AC control markings
- Headliners/sun visors
- Extend/retract smoothly
- Free of twists, cuts or signs of wear
- Buckles lock securely
- Lumbar support operation
- Memory control operates properly*
- Headrest functions properly
- Heaters function properly*
- Seat cushion angle and height adjustment
- Seatback angle adjustment
Power Windows / Locks
- Function Properly
Trunk/Fuel Lid Release
- Functions Properly (interior)
- Contains portfolio, owner's manual, supplement
- Tilt/telescopic functionability
- Horn functions properly
- Steering wheel controls
- Steering wheel locks
- Warning chime (key in -- door open)
- Functions in hi/low/intermittent
- Wiper blades clean properly
- Rain sensing wipers*
Dashboard Lights Illuminate as Designed
- Turn signal: left/right
- High beam indicator
- Emergency flashers
- Instrument panel control knob
- Waring lights: oil pressure, brake, fuel, charge, seatbelt, open door, engine check, rear light failure, ABS, SRS
- Check operation of guages
- Functions properly
Air Conditioner / Heater
- Climate control system functions properly for both heating and cooling
- Dome/map/vanity mirror/courtesy lamps/foot function properly
- Power/volume switch functions properly
- Preset station indicator
- Cassette/CD function (scan, seek, rewind, fast forward) operates properly
- Navigation system operates properly*
- Speakers sound clear
- CD cartridge (if applicable)
- Tilt/slide operates properly
- Function properly
Outside/Inside Rearview Mirrors
- Power controls function properly
- Spare tire size, sidewall condition, tread depth and air pressure
- Spare tire and attaching hardware, cover, jack, jack tools and wheel lock (if applicable) are present, properly installed and secure
- Manual fuel lid release operates
Under The Hood
Engine Hood Release
- Interior release operates properly
The Following Fluid Levels Meet Industry Standard
- Engine oil replaced and proper level
- Automatic transmission fluid level
- Brake fluid level
- Power steering fluid level
- Engine coolant fluid level
- Washer fluid level
- Excessive fuel pump noise
- Cooling system (radiator, overflow tank, hoses, coolant level)
- Water pump (noise/leaks)
- Air filter (replace as necessary)
- Inspect oil for contaminants
- Engine noise (knocks, rattles)
- Transmission noise (whines, clunks)
- Belts (wear or damage)
- Check engine diagnostics
- No damage or leakage and proper group size/amp rating
- Tests to standards
- Function properly
Under the Vehicle
Tires (Minimum tread depth 5/32")
- FL: _______/32"
- RL: _______/32"
- FR: _______/32"
- RR: _______/32"
- Sidewall condition
- Proper size, type and match
- Tire pressure
- Check wheel lug-nut torque
Brake Inspection (Minimum 6mm of pad material required)
- FL: _______mm
- RL: _______mm
- FR: _______mm
- RR: _______mm
- Rotors show no signs of excessive wear, warpage or heat damage
- Calipers, lines, and hoses show no sign of excessive wear or leakage
- Parking brake assemblies, cables, and attaching hardware show no sign of excessive wear or damage
Chassis Inspection (No sign of damage or excessive wear)
- Frame rails and floor pan
- Engine mounts and oil pan for leaks
- Brake lines and couplings
- Transmission case/pan for leaks
- Drive shaft boots and CV joints
- Fuel lines, fuel tank, hoses and protectors
- Steering rack, linkage, bushings, control arms and dust boots
- Differential assembly, drive shaft and related components
- Exhaust system (including leakage)
- Transmission mounts
- Tie rods, ball joints, idler arm
- Catalytic converter
- Struts/shocks for operation/leaks
Under Vehicle Fluid Levels
- Differential lubricant level -- check for contaminants
Road Test (Vehicle Operation)
- Idles normally
- While driving, engine performs normally
- Starter system operates normally
- Shift Lock
- Brake and parking brake function normally
- Brake and clutch pedal height, free play and travel meet specs.
- No warning lights illuminate during road test
- T/M shifts properly (both power/normal mode)
- TRAC/VSC and ECT control functions and indicator lights function properly
- Steering operation is normal
- Off-center psecifications meet standards
- Handling, straight-line operations
- Functions properly
Noise or Vibration
- None present
Squeaks or Rattles
- None present
* -- If Applicable
AMS Vans promises to deliver the best wheelchair accessible van available on the market today..... simply put if you are not fully satisfied with your wheelchair accessible van upon delivery---you can refuse it at no cost to you.
With nearly two decades of experience; manufacturing, selling, and delivering over 12,000 vans nationwide, our dedicated team of certified technicians will not allow your van to leave our Atlanta facility until its right!
Please contact one of our experienced Mobility Specialists today and ask about our three step quality control process.
AMS Vans looks forward to serving your family by providing you with a van that is worthy of our own.
Contact AMS Vans
You have succesfully signed up for the AMS Vans Newsletter. You will receive a confirmation email shortly.