Our knowledgeable, compassionate mobility consultants are ready to help you through your accessible vehicle purchase process with professional advice and expertise. Contact us today and experience the true mobility freedom you deserve.View Our Inventory Contact AMS Vans Sales Department
Iowa Wheelchair Accessible Destinations and Resources
Travelers will find that Iowa’s wheelchair destinations and resources provide vacation environments ranging from the laid back to the thrilling
Despite its quiet demeanor, the ‘Hawkeye State’ is home to a variety of exciting adapted opportunities for travelers of all tastes. In addition to the ever-popular Iowa State Fair, Iowa’s wheelchair accessible destinations and resources offer a unique mix of rural flavor and urban thrills. Here are a few of the outdoor and indoor opportunities that you can look forward to experiencing.
Outdoor Wheelchair Accessible Destinations
Iowa’s location on the historic and majestic Mississippi River creates a host of unique opportunities for sports lovers to enjoy this national natural resource. From fishing to boating and beyond, Iowa outdoor wheelchair accessible destinations are some of the most satisfying you’ll find.
Iowa State Fair, Dubuque. The Iowa State Fair is truly one-of-a-kind — so much so, that it's worth planning an Iowa vacation around it. For 10 days in August, Dubuque hosts one of the oldest and largest agricultural and industrial expositions in America. Promoted as "the true heartbeat of the Midwest, unequaled and unduplicated," this amazing state fair is worth at least a day's visit and more. Wheelchair accessibility is a priority for organizers.
Iowa City Literary Walk, Iowa City. Book lovers will be enthralled by Iowa City's lasting tribute to the written word. The Literary Walk is a well-paved sidewalk that celebrates works by 49 acclaimed writers with ties to Iowa. As you traverse both sides Iowa Avenue, you'll come upon a series of uniquely designed bronze relief panels featuring authors' words with attribution.
Living History Farms, Urbandale. Here's a living history farm so delightfully wheelchair accessible that they have tractor-drawn carts with ramps for wheelchair boarding! Living history attractions, like Williamsburg in Virginia, connects visitors to the past or a moment in time by surrounding them with the sights, sounds, smells, attire, and activity of another day and time.
Indoor Wheelchair Accessible Destinations
Iowa’s collection of indoor wheelchair accessible destinations is a unique mix of historical landmarks, culture-rich museums, and community-based entertainment that offers something for everyone. Also, you’ll find that most opportunities are adapted to meet the needs of visitors with a variety of needs and abilities. Here are some of those opportunities.
National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium, Dubuque. You've known about the mighty Mississippi River since grade school, when you learned that the Mississippi River is the fourth longest river in the world, and its banks were the playground for Mark Twain's immortal characters Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. Speaking of immersion, the wheelchair accessible museum also houses a theater with large-format 3D sights and 4D special effects that include enhanced sound, mist, wind, smells, and seat movement to intensify the on-screen action. Here's your chance to go "rollin' on the river!"
Orpheum Theater, Sioux City. A part of the worldwide "Theatreland" collection, the Orpheum Theater was built in 1927 and has undergone several renovations to become the glorious theater experience that it is today. As you walk in, you'll marvel at the crystal chandeliers, African mahogany doors and handrails, terrazzo baseboards, and historically recreated drapes and fabric wall coverings. Check their web site to see what's on the bill during your Iowa stay.
Harrah's Casino, Council Bluffs. One of more than 20 casinos at your pleasure in Iowa, the accessible Harrah's Casino in Council Bluffs offers all the activities of a typical casino. Play a day or night away at the gaming tables for poker, blackjack, roulette, or settle in front of a slot machine to test your luck. Build a plate of international food delights at the Fresh Market Square Buffet or dine at one of the other in-house restaurants.
Iowa Wheelchair Accessible Resources
Published by organizations in both the public and private sectors, Iowa’s wheelchair accessible resources are Internet accessible. You can request mobility and human assistance for most travel destinations to make your experiences ones you’ll always remember.
State Historical Society of Iowa. Published by Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs and found at https://iowaculture.gov/history/museum/visit-or-tour, this resources are readily available for you during your trips or tours.
Iowa Capitol Visitors with Disabilities. Published by Iowa Capital and found at https://www.visitthecapitol.gov/plan-visit/visitors-disabilities, this list of resources are made available for visits to the state's capital.
Planning Your Visit to the SCI. Published by the Science Center of Iowa and found at https://www.sciowa.org/visit/planning-your-visit/, this website contains information on how to get the most from your visit to the Science Center.
For more information on the ‘AMS Vans Advantage’ in Iowa, contact one of our knowledgeable, compassionate mobility specialists — either by phone at 800-391-1518 or using our convenient web form — and, we'll be happy to answer all of your questions.
Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles
- Stock #: 692696
- Mileage: 50,737 Miles
- Ramp/Lift: Side Entry Bi-Fold Pwr
- Features: Backup Camera, Bluetooth, Leather, 3YR/36K Conv Wrty, Remote Start, Driver Pwr. Seat Base, Kneeling, Lowered Floor
- Stock #: 737931
- Mileage: 51,002 Miles
- Ramp/Lift: Side Entry Bi-Fold Pwr
- Stock #: A26598
- Mileage: 17,772 Miles
- Ramp/Lift: Rear Entry Lift
- Features: Backup Camera, Bluetooth, 3YR/36K Conv Wrty, ADA Compliant
Exterior Appearance Inspection
- Panel alignment/fit
- Headlamp, taillamp/lens condition
- Windshield/glass condition
- Paint chips and scratches
- Body damage/dents/dings
- Trim and moldings
- In place and matching
- Inspect certification label (federal requirement)
- Check VIN label to paperwork
- Check for non-completed recalls
Exterior Lights Function Properly and Illuminate as Designed
- Headlights hi/low (including aim)
- Parking lights/fog lights
- License plate lights
- Side marker lights
- Tail lights / backup lights
- Turn signal and cornering lights
- Brake and high-mount stoplights
- Emergency Flashers
- Vehicle has 2 master key with remote entry (if applicable) and 2 valet key, flat key
- Programmed to immobilizer
Door Lock System
- Door opens/closes smoothly using interior and exterior door handles
- Doors cannot be opened when lock button is in lock position
- 2-turn unlock feature functions properly
- Remote entry system operates properly
- Theft-deterrent system functions properly
- Child safety locks
- Wireless door lock operation
Interior Appearance Inspection
- Seats: front/rear
- Steering wheel/airbags
- Armrests/door handles
- Lower door and sill plates
- Gearshift selection handle
- Radio/AC control markings
- Headliners/sun visors
- Extend/retract smoothly
- Free of twists, cuts or signs of wear
- Buckles lock securely
- Lumbar support operation
- Memory control operates properly*
- Headrest functions properly
- Heaters function properly*
- Seat cushion angle and height adjustment
- Seatback angle adjustment
Power Windows / Locks
- Function Properly
Trunk/Fuel Lid Release
- Functions Properly (interior)
- Contains portfolio, owner's manual, supplement
- Tilt/telescopic functionability
- Horn functions properly
- Steering wheel controls
- Steering wheel locks
- Warning chime (key in -- door open)
- Functions in hi/low/intermittent
- Wiper blades clean properly
- Rain sensing wipers*
Dashboard Lights Illuminate as Designed
- Turn signal: left/right
- High beam indicator
- Emergency flashers
- Instrument panel control knob
- Waring lights: oil pressure, brake, fuel, charge, seatbelt, open door, engine check, rear light failure, ABS, SRS
- Check operation of guages
- Functions properly
Air Conditioner / Heater
- Climate control system functions properly for both heating and cooling
- Dome/map/vanity mirror/courtesy lamps/foot function properly
- Power/volume switch functions properly
- Preset station indicator
- Cassette/CD function (scan, seek, rewind, fast forward) operates properly
- Navigation system operates properly*
- Speakers sound clear
- CD cartridge (if applicable)
- Tilt/slide operates properly
- Function properly
Outside/Inside Rearview Mirrors
- Power controls function properly
- Spare tire size, sidewall condition, tread depth and air pressure
- Spare tire and attaching hardware, cover, jack, jack tools and wheel lock (if applicable) are present, properly installed and secure
- Manual fuel lid release operates
Under The Hood
Engine Hood Release
- Interior release operates properly
The Following Fluid Levels Meet Industry Standard
- Engine oil replaced and proper level
- Automatic transmission fluid level
- Brake fluid level
- Power steering fluid level
- Engine coolant fluid level
- Washer fluid level
- Excessive fuel pump noise
- Cooling system (radiator, overflow tank, hoses, coolant level)
- Water pump (noise/leaks)
- Air filter (replace as necessary)
- Inspect oil for contaminants
- Engine noise (knocks, rattles)
- Transmission noise (whines, clunks)
- Belts (wear or damage)
- Check engine diagnostics
- No damage or leakage and proper group size/amp rating
- Tests to standards
- Function properly
Under the Vehicle
Tires (Minimum tread depth 5/32")
- FL: _______/32"
- RL: _______/32"
- FR: _______/32"
- RR: _______/32"
- Sidewall condition
- Proper size, type and match
- Tire pressure
- Check wheel lug-nut torque
Brake Inspection (Minimum 6mm of pad material required)
- FL: _______mm
- RL: _______mm
- FR: _______mm
- RR: _______mm
- Rotors show no signs of excessive wear, warpage or heat damage
- Calipers, lines, and hoses show no sign of excessive wear or leakage
- Parking brake assemblies, cables, and attaching hardware show no sign of excessive wear or damage
Chassis Inspection (No sign of damage or excessive wear)
- Frame rails and floor pan
- Engine mounts and oil pan for leaks
- Brake lines and couplings
- Transmission case/pan for leaks
- Drive shaft boots and CV joints
- Fuel lines, fuel tank, hoses and protectors
- Steering rack, linkage, bushings, control arms and dust boots
- Differential assembly, drive shaft and related components
- Exhaust system (including leakage)
- Transmission mounts
- Tie rods, ball joints, idler arm
- Catalytic converter
- Struts/shocks for operation/leaks
Under Vehicle Fluid Levels
- Differential lubricant level -- check for contaminants
Road Test (Vehicle Operation)
- Idles normally
- While driving, engine performs normally
- Starter system operates normally
- Shift Lock
- Brake and parking brake function normally
- Brake and clutch pedal height, free play and travel meet specs.
- No warning lights illuminate during road test
- T/M shifts properly (both power/normal mode)
- TRAC/VSC and ECT control functions and indicator lights function properly
- Steering operation is normal
- Off-center psecifications meet standards
- Handling, straight-line operations
- Functions properly
Noise or Vibration
- None present
Squeaks or Rattles
- None present
* -- If Applicable
AMS Vans promises to deliver the best wheelchair accessible van available on the market today..... simply put if you are not fully satisfied with your wheelchair accessible van upon delivery---you can refuse it at no cost to you.
With nearly two decades of experience; manufacturing, selling, and delivering over 12,000 vans nationwide, our dedicated team of certified technicians will not allow your van to leave our Atlanta facility until its right!
Please contact one of our experienced Mobility Specialists today and ask about our three step quality control process.
AMS Vans looks forward to serving your family by providing you with a van that is worthy of our own.
Contact AMS Vans
You have succesfully signed up for the AMS Vans Newsletter. You will receive a confirmation email shortly.