Our knowledgeable, compassionate mobility consultants are ready to help you through your accessible vehicle purchase process with professional advice and expertise. Contact us today and experience the true mobility freedom you deserve.View Our Inventory Contact AMS Vans Sales Department
Delaware’s Wheelchair Accessible Destinations and Resources
From peaceful beach towns to the bustling city-scapes, Delaware boasts a collection of accessible recreational opportunities for everyone.
When you combine pristine beaches, tax-free shopping, exciting casinos, and picturesque garden landscapes — all with convenient wheelchair accessibility — you’re talking about the great state of Delaware. This vacation destination is an all-in-one locale that draws tourists from across the nation year after year.
Outdoor Wheelchair Accessible Destinations
Visitors find Delaware’s outdoor wheelchair accessible destinations an invigorating exercise that combines excitement and relaxation in one dynamic trip. With a nickname like ‘Small Wonder’ you’ll find big fun that offers the true mobility you’d expect from such a fascinating region of the country.
Longwood Gardens, Kennett Square. Visit the spectacular Longwood Gardens, which covers more than 1,500 acres with gardens, woodlands, and meadows, and features more than 11,000 types of plant species and an abundant amount of fabulous fountains. You can even watch a daily fountain show at the Open Air Theater and the Main Fountain Garden. The Longwood Gardens are wheelchair accessible. There is no shuttle, and it takes about 1 1/2 hours to navigate the entire conservatory.
Rehoboth Beach Boardwalk, Rehoboth Beach. Voted by Family Vacation Critic as one of the top 10 best beaches for families — this is the beach to hit for family fun and wheelchair accessibility. Ramps to the beach are available at Maryland Avenue, Philadelphia Street, and the Boardwalk and Surf Avenue. Beach wheelchairs are available 9am-5pm each day through Labor Day at Maryland Avenue, the Boardwalk, and Laurel Avenue. The beach wheelchairs are not allowed off the beach and are available on a first come, first served basis, with no rental fee.
Dover International Speedway, Dover. Check out the Dover International Speedway, also known as the ‘Monster Mile.’ Watch action-packed NASCAR, USAC, IRL IndyCar Series, and many more thrilling races at one of the top motorsport facilities in the country. The track has a capacity of 135,000 seats — the largest seating capacity of all sports venues in the mid-Atlantic. There is wheelchair accessible parking with shuttle services are available. Inside the track is wheelchair accessible seating, which also has one seat for a companion.
Indoor Wheelchair Accessible Destinations
Delaware’s indoor wheelchair accessible destinations literally offer something for just about everyone. Whether you are into history, recreation, or culture, you’ll find mobility friendly options to keep you busy throughout your visit. Here are just a few of the experiences waiting to be taken in.
Nemours Mansion and Gardens, Wilmington. Tour the Nemours Mansion and Garden, modeled after the late-18th-century French style. The 3,000-acre plot is full of sculptures and is lined with plants like Japanese cryptomeria, pink flowering horse chestnuts, and pine oaks — all eventually leading to a large reflecting pool. The tour involves climbing staircases. However, much of the tour is wheelchair accessible, including the gardens. For special assistance you are encouraged to call the reservation office before visiting, so they can be prepared to meet your needs.
Air Mobility Command Museum, Dover. The museum was a 4146 Base Unit during WWII, and the Dover Army Airfield used the facility for secret rocket development. The Museum is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. You'll see many aircraft, WWII-related artifacts, a refueling exhibit, and other intriguing exhibits. The main floor of the display hangar, museum store, and restrooms are wheelchair accessible. The C-141B aircraft has a ramp for wheelchair access.
Grand Opera House, Wilmington. See performances at the Grand Opera House. Shows include symphony orchestras, ballets, rock, comedy stars, jazz, family artists and many other forms of entertainment. The Grand originally opened in 1871 and was the Grand Lodge of the Masons. More than 75 shows are presented every season, bringing more than 120,000 people a year. Come see a fantastic show and magnificent architecture. The Grand Opera House is wheelchair accessible.
Delaware’s Wheelchair Accessible Resources
To plan ahead of your visit to the attraction of your choice, Delaware’s wheelchair accessible resources can be accessed either by phone or Internet. If you have special considerations — or, you just would like to customize your experience — Delaware government organizations are standing by to assist.
Delaware Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC). Located at http://www.delawareadrc.com/, the Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) is your one-stop access point for aging and disability information and travel resources in Delaware.
Accessible Nature. Located at https://www.accessiblenature.info/?page_id=332, Delaware has a number of trails with minimal obstacles. Some are very easy and others are wheelchair accessible. Here are just a few of them.
The ABCs of Accessible Trails: Connecticut, Delaware, & Florida. The ABCs of Accessible Trails series, which will detail the best accessible trails in State and National Parks across the country, can be found at https://www.gogrit.us/news/2016/2/11/the-abcs-of-accessible-trails-connecticut-delaware-florida.
For more information on the ‘AMS Vans Advantage’ in Delaware, contact one of our knowledgeable, compassionate mobility specialists — either by phone at 800-391-1518 or using our convenient web form — and, we'll be happy to answer all of your questions.
Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles
- Stock #: 581088
- Mileage: 46,448 Miles
- Ramp/Lift: Side Entry Bi-Fold Pwr
- Features: Bluetooth, Leather, 3YR/36K Conv Wrty, Remote Start, Driver Pwr. Seat Base, Kneeling, Lowered Floor
- Stock #: 206998
- Mileage: 118,200 Miles
- Ramp/Lift: Side Entry Bi-Fold Pwr
- Features: Leather, Heated Seats, Driver Pwr. Seat Base, Pass. Pwr. Seat Base, Kneeling, Lowered Floor
- Stock #: 737931
- Mileage: 51,002 Miles
- Ramp/Lift: Side Entry Bi-Fold Pwr
- Features: Backup Camera, Bluetooth, Leather, 3YR/36K Conv Wrty, Remote Start, Driver Pwr. Seat Base, Kneeling, Lowered Floor
Exterior Appearance Inspection
- Panel alignment/fit
- Headlamp, taillamp/lens condition
- Windshield/glass condition
- Paint chips and scratches
- Body damage/dents/dings
- Trim and moldings
- In place and matching
- Inspect certification label (federal requirement)
- Check VIN label to paperwork
- Check for non-completed recalls
Exterior Lights Function Properly and Illuminate as Designed
- Headlights hi/low (including aim)
- Parking lights/fog lights
- License plate lights
- Side marker lights
- Tail lights / backup lights
- Turn signal and cornering lights
- Brake and high-mount stoplights
- Emergency Flashers
- Vehicle has 2 master key with remote entry (if applicable) and 2 valet key, flat key
- Programmed to immobilizer
Door Lock System
- Door opens/closes smoothly using interior and exterior door handles
- Doors cannot be opened when lock button is in lock position
- 2-turn unlock feature functions properly
- Remote entry system operates properly
- Theft-deterrent system functions properly
- Child safety locks
- Wireless door lock operation
Interior Appearance Inspection
- Seats: front/rear
- Steering wheel/airbags
- Armrests/door handles
- Lower door and sill plates
- Gearshift selection handle
- Radio/AC control markings
- Headliners/sun visors
- Extend/retract smoothly
- Free of twists, cuts or signs of wear
- Buckles lock securely
- Lumbar support operation
- Memory control operates properly*
- Headrest functions properly
- Heaters function properly*
- Seat cushion angle and height adjustment
- Seatback angle adjustment
Power Windows / Locks
- Function Properly
Trunk/Fuel Lid Release
- Functions Properly (interior)
- Contains portfolio, owner's manual, supplement
- Tilt/telescopic functionability
- Horn functions properly
- Steering wheel controls
- Steering wheel locks
- Warning chime (key in -- door open)
- Functions in hi/low/intermittent
- Wiper blades clean properly
- Rain sensing wipers*
Dashboard Lights Illuminate as Designed
- Turn signal: left/right
- High beam indicator
- Emergency flashers
- Instrument panel control knob
- Waring lights: oil pressure, brake, fuel, charge, seatbelt, open door, engine check, rear light failure, ABS, SRS
- Check operation of guages
- Functions properly
Air Conditioner / Heater
- Climate control system functions properly for both heating and cooling
- Dome/map/vanity mirror/courtesy lamps/foot function properly
- Power/volume switch functions properly
- Preset station indicator
- Cassette/CD function (scan, seek, rewind, fast forward) operates properly
- Navigation system operates properly*
- Speakers sound clear
- CD cartridge (if applicable)
- Tilt/slide operates properly
- Function properly
Outside/Inside Rearview Mirrors
- Power controls function properly
- Spare tire size, sidewall condition, tread depth and air pressure
- Spare tire and attaching hardware, cover, jack, jack tools and wheel lock (if applicable) are present, properly installed and secure
- Manual fuel lid release operates
Under The Hood
Engine Hood Release
- Interior release operates properly
The Following Fluid Levels Meet Industry Standard
- Engine oil replaced and proper level
- Automatic transmission fluid level
- Brake fluid level
- Power steering fluid level
- Engine coolant fluid level
- Washer fluid level
- Excessive fuel pump noise
- Cooling system (radiator, overflow tank, hoses, coolant level)
- Water pump (noise/leaks)
- Air filter (replace as necessary)
- Inspect oil for contaminants
- Engine noise (knocks, rattles)
- Transmission noise (whines, clunks)
- Belts (wear or damage)
- Check engine diagnostics
- No damage or leakage and proper group size/amp rating
- Tests to standards
- Function properly
Under the Vehicle
Tires (Minimum tread depth 5/32")
- FL: _______/32"
- RL: _______/32"
- FR: _______/32"
- RR: _______/32"
- Sidewall condition
- Proper size, type and match
- Tire pressure
- Check wheel lug-nut torque
Brake Inspection (Minimum 6mm of pad material required)
- FL: _______mm
- RL: _______mm
- FR: _______mm
- RR: _______mm
- Rotors show no signs of excessive wear, warpage or heat damage
- Calipers, lines, and hoses show no sign of excessive wear or leakage
- Parking brake assemblies, cables, and attaching hardware show no sign of excessive wear or damage
Chassis Inspection (No sign of damage or excessive wear)
- Frame rails and floor pan
- Engine mounts and oil pan for leaks
- Brake lines and couplings
- Transmission case/pan for leaks
- Drive shaft boots and CV joints
- Fuel lines, fuel tank, hoses and protectors
- Steering rack, linkage, bushings, control arms and dust boots
- Differential assembly, drive shaft and related components
- Exhaust system (including leakage)
- Transmission mounts
- Tie rods, ball joints, idler arm
- Catalytic converter
- Struts/shocks for operation/leaks
Under Vehicle Fluid Levels
- Differential lubricant level -- check for contaminants
Road Test (Vehicle Operation)
- Idles normally
- While driving, engine performs normally
- Starter system operates normally
- Shift Lock
- Brake and parking brake function normally
- Brake and clutch pedal height, free play and travel meet specs.
- No warning lights illuminate during road test
- T/M shifts properly (both power/normal mode)
- TRAC/VSC and ECT control functions and indicator lights function properly
- Steering operation is normal
- Off-center psecifications meet standards
- Handling, straight-line operations
- Functions properly
Noise or Vibration
- None present
Squeaks or Rattles
- None present
* -- If Applicable
AMS Vans promises to deliver the best wheelchair accessible van available on the market today..... simply put if you are not fully satisfied with your wheelchair accessible van upon delivery---you can refuse it at no cost to you.
With nearly two decades of experience; manufacturing, selling, and delivering over 12,000 vans nationwide, our dedicated team of certified technicians will not allow your van to leave our Atlanta facility until its right!
Please contact one of our experienced Mobility Specialists today and ask about our three step quality control process.
AMS Vans looks forward to serving your family by providing you with a van that is worthy of our own.
Contact AMS Vans
You have succesfully signed up for the AMS Vans Newsletter. You will receive a confirmation email shortly.